About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
We are looking for Software Engineers to contribute across our end-to-end platform. Our software engineers work across cloud infrastructure and distributed systems, data engineering, ML engineering and MLOps, simulation ecosystems, complex workflow orchestration, microservices mesh, application development and security. Our software engineers supercharge design and delivery of our product development activities while helping to build and lead an engineering capability that is the core of the company’s strategy and identity. If you want to fight climate change and love modern tech stacks, clarity of product vision, and exceptional colleagues, this role is for you!
In the near-term, you will work with other software engineers, data engineers, infrastructure engineers, ML engineers, data scientists, researchers and product managers to execute our ML- and AI-infused product development plan en route to growing our company. Have a specific interest in a particular part of our technical stack? No problem...we’re looking for technical leaders across our ecosystem.
In the medium-term, you will cultivate our software engineering function by nurturing a culture of experimentation and delivery. You will design, write and optimize software to support our end-to-end product development ambitions, helping to build the core of our competitive differentiation.
What you will do
- Lead the design, development, testing, delivery and support of software systems across our technical stack that drive our end-to-end product development ambitions.
- Cloud and distributed systems development - contribute to building and maintaining our cloud-native platform and infrastructure; K8s, cluster management, linux containers, etc.
- Data Platform and Engineering - our use cases are varied and so are our data engineering needs. From stream, batch, pub-sub, queuing, state stores, virtualization, complex data models and closed-loop pipelines, we’ve got a little bit of everything.
- ML Engineering and MLOps - we aim to infuse EVERY business process with ML and AI, relying on closed-loop decision-making at every valuable juncture.
- Simulation ecosystem - our ML- and AI-centric workflows need training and testing.
- Workflow orchestration - we live in the land of complex, autonomous, multi-step sequential workflows operating in a distributed runtime with low latency requirements.
- Service mesh - we rely heavily on reuse of core microservices to keep application development productivity high, which requires thoughtful service mesh management.
- Application development - we’ve just started designing and developing across our anchor product suites, each focused on leveraging a common platform and service core.
- DevSecOps - security is inherently embedded within our development and operations practices, and we leverage bespoke security techniques for some unique exposures.
- Assist in product development strategy, design, planning and productivity.
- Contribute your unique technical, user, and market knowledge to product strategy.
- Contribute to product and architectural design.
- Contribute to product roadmapping, resource planning and sprint management.
- Contribute to product development productivity improvements, including best practices, technical documentation, code reviews and automation / utility / abstraction packages.
- Serve as a member of our technical team across both engineering and research.
- Collaborate asynchronously with engineers, researchers and product managers across time zones to design, build and ship code.
- Contribute to technical strategy and planning across the company.
- Represent Equilibrium in external venues, including presenting work at conferences and contributing to open-source projects.
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- Passion for clean energy and fighting climate change
- BS/Master's degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Electrical Engineering) or equivalent practical experience.
- Software development experience in Python, Go, Julia, C, or Rust.
- 4 years of relevant work experience.
Nice to have additional skills
- PhD degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Electrical Engineering).
- 8 years of relevant work experience, including expert software engineering fundamentals and experience building software to support ML and AI pipelines, and associated data structures.
- Expertise in Go, Python, C, Rust, or Julia. Experience with orchestration tools like Temporal.
- Advanced proficiency across a range of data engineering tools (ELT, streaming, pub-sub, relational DBs, object DBs, GraphDBs, etc.).
- Deep expertise across any one of our tech stack domains: cloud infrastructure, data platform and engineering, IOT, MLOps and ML pipelines, simulation ecosystems, workflow orchestration, microservices orchestration, and/or application development.
- Familiarity supporting and releasing ML/AI models that drive operational workflows (e.g., models that run and produce new inferences every hour of the day).
- Proactive communicator who can translate product design specs into organized code.
- Experience communicating the results of analyses with product, engineering, and leadership teams to influence product and engineering strategy.
- Demonstrated proactivity and self-direction. Willingness to teach as well as learn.
- Excellent team collaboration skills and collaboration-first mentality.
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech